May 13, 2010
Iron Man in the Real World: Top 5 Exoskeletons
Have you watched the latest film "Iron Man"? Maybe while watching or even after watching it, you've wished you had the same super strength to overcome your weakness.
Great news! The Iron Man does exist in the real world but of course you have to cash in hundreds or thousands of dollars to get one. But don't get me wrong. I am not talking of the "Iron Man" mask or his robotic outfit; I am talking of the Exoskeletons that will get you working several times longer and faster without exerting your own strength.
Here are the top 5 Exoskeleton Robots you might want to check out.
1. Raytheon Sarcos ExoskeletonMostly dubbed as the "Iron Man", Raytheon Sarcos Exoskeleton is basically designed for military purposes. Developed by Sarcos (bought by Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems in Massachusetts), this robot could enable soldiers to carry heavy loads and run tirelessly over long distance.
2. Human Assistive Limb Exoskeleton (HAL)The HAL or Human Assistive Limb Exoskeleton is a "cyborg" robot programmed to assist persons with mobility problems, in rehabilitation, and for heavy lifting.
3. Human Universal Load Carrier (HULC)Developed by Berkley Bionics in Berkley, Calif., the HULC or Human Universal Load Carrier is a wearable robot exoskeleton for the legs and was primarily designed to make stronger, more durable soldier.
4. Honda Experimental Walking Assist DeviceIt's like running while sitting (or the other way around?) The Honda exoskeleton lets users to sit down in a saddle-like seat and hook their feet into two shoes attached to artificial limbs. And running will be much easier.
5. MIT ExoskeletonThe last but not the least, the MIT Exos is designed to utilize a minimum amount of power and weigh less than other robotic exos.
Written by: John
Tags: Artificial Limbs, Bionics, Exoskeleton, Exoskeletons, Great News, Heavy Lifting, Heavy Loads, Integrated Defense, Iron Man, Iron Mask, Long Distance, Military Purposes, Mobility Problems, Raytheon, Real World, Robot, Robots, Sarcos, Several Times, Thousands Of Dollars
Trackback URL: http://roboticstechnologycenter.com/1441/iron-man-in-the-real-world-top-5-exoskeletons/trackback/